Location: Creve Coeur Lake in Maryland Heights
Date: February 27, 2021
First Wave of Jurassic Plungers Arrive at.
This "unbearable" Jurassic event is a unique opportunity to show your bravery as you support local Special Olympics Missouri (SOMO) athletes by walking, running or crawling into the frigid winter waters. In 2020, the Maryland Heights Polar Plunge had 371 plungers and raised more than $88,000! This one-of-a-kind event promises a fun atmosphere complete with music, funny costumes, and lasting memories for everyone!
Proceeds benefit individuals with intellectual disabilities as they access a year-round program of sports training and competition, health and wellness opportunities, and life skills classes. Through these critical programs, SOMO athletes realize improved health, confidence and social connections that impact their lives on and off the playing field. We invite you to get involved! Become a coach, volunteer, recruit a future athlete and learn how you can make a difference by visiting www.SOMO.org.
New to the Maryland Heights Plunge in 2021
We have added an option for a Virtual Plunge (more information below) and made changes to our in-person event to ensure the safety of everyone attending. Start times for plungers are staggered. We call this a Jurassic Wave. Each Jurassic Wave will have a maximum of 50 people so that we can ensure social distancing throughout the event. Prior to the day of the Polar Plunge®, SOMO will give Plungers a 30 to 45-minute timeframe for their plunge. Within that timeframe or Jurassic Wave, plungers will register, participate in the costume contest, plunge, change clothes and exit the changing area to leave the event.
To ensure the safety of everyone, we have established the following guidelines:
- Plungers must be at least 10 years old and raise a minimum of $75 by event day
- NO DIVING IS ALLOWED! THIS WILL BE STICTLY ENFORCED!
- Everyone is required to wear masks and maintain social distance
- Costumes? Of course, you can wear costumes! Plan to arrive in costume because there is limited space for changing. We look forward to seeing your Jurassic costumes!
- This is a family friendly event. Special Olympics Missouri promotes inclusion as a way of life for our athletes and everyone at our events. We reserve the right to ask anyone to alter/remove their costume if found offensive or harmful to those in attendance.
- Registration and changing areas will have social distancing spacing/markers so everyone is spaced during times they spend in these areas
- Teams are limited to no more than two additional people to take photos/videos. They can Facebook Live your team plunging so others can watch from home.
- Additional guests must register at registration with the team.
If you are uncomfortable participating in-person, we understand. You can still support local Special Olympics Missouri athletes through our Virtual Plunge. Register as a Virtual Plunger, raise your money and plunge from home by jumping into a kiddie pool, taking an ice cold shower, running through a sprinkler, or creating your own “plunge”. Whatever you do, have fun, be safe and share a video of your Virtual Plunge! Being flexible is important to ensure safe, fun events for everyone. If you sign up as an in-person plunger and later decide that you prefer to go virtual, or vis versa, just let us know.
Start working now to earn Jurassic Plunge prizes. They are available to ALL Plungers – in-person, and virtual. For in-person plungers, prizes are awarded at the event based on your fundraising total at that time. The date and time for virtual plungers to pick-up their items is being determined. All plungers must raise a minimum of $75 to plunge and receive a commemorative Plunge shirt.
- Everyone will be required to social distance and wear face masks while onsite
- Plungers are allowed to remove their masks prior to entering the water but will be required to put it back on when entering the changing tents
- While moving through the event, watch for markers to help keep distance between you and the next group
- Spread out in changing tents
- We appreciate that this is a fun event to bring your family and friends to watch you take the big plunge but this year due to COVID, we ask that each team only bring one/two additional people to be the team photographer/videographer
Thank you for helping us keep our event safe!
If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, exposed to COVID-19 in the ten days prior to the Polar Plunge or are experiencing fever, cough, loss of taste/smell or shortness of breath, you should stay at home. When you are feeling better, we hope you will participate from home through the virtual plunge.
If the in person event needs to be cancelled, we will switch the event to virtual and there will be no refunds.